Friday, April 9, 2010

Fluxus & Joseph Beuys


Fluxus.
1960's

This was a group of creatives. They were all different types of people that would network with one another and with art. They were designers and artists and musicians. New York City held the first Fluxus event. NYC is known to have all the new ideas and art shows take place there, so that was no surprise to me. I think this time period was all about expression and trying to see what you could get away with. Marcel Duchamp's work reminds me of Picasso's work. They both change the human body into different shapes and angles. They make you look at something ordinary in a dissimilar way. Duchamp's art work is very interesting. His fountain piece i am still trying to understand. I guess that is the point of this class....to see everyday things as art. I remember a quote that i think Santiago said "Anything is art, all you have to do is frame it." I think this quote helps me understand art. This quote also makes me realize that my view and someone's view of art can be completely different. And that is also what makes art so interesting and controversial.

Joseph Beuys
He was a man who had great strength. It was crazy when i was reading that Beuys actually served under Hitler. I could not imagine being covered with someones body fat. That is what happened to Beuys after a plane crash, while he was in war. His work aspirations come from the war and his involvement. He covered things in his art work alot, for example the piano and another one with a long blanket with a hanger coming out of it. I found his piece with the chair and (what is supposed to represent fat) sitting on the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment